Album Review: Camila

CC_Havana_SNGL_CVR_5X5_hr

I have never been a big fan of Camila Cabello. To tell the truth, I hated her. I disliked her breathy - low pitched voice, I was annoyed by her. But all of that has changed ever since I first heard her debut album. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything out of her. I thought she would pull even more (to my ears) atrocious music. 

I mean, sure her songs are well liked. But to me few of the only songs I found tolerable of hers were Bad Things (But that had Machine Gun Kelly - who I find likeable enough) and I know what you did last summer (which had Shawn Mendes who I, just like every other teenage girl in the universe, completely adore)! So, I laid down the fact that these two of her songs were pleasant to hear - to the thought that she had collaborated with two decent artists to produce chart topping hits.

And then I heard all the uproar over her new album and songs like Crying in the Club and Havana taking over the world by storm. When I heard Crying in the Club, it did nothing for me. I found it despicable, just like everything else by her. Havana was a lot better. I should have known what was in store for me in Camila - her album, but I was naive and unaware. 

I put in my headphones and sat down with a bored look plastered on my face. Little did I know, Camila (her album) would completely alter my opinion about Camila Cabello's singing prowess. The first song that I clicked on was Consequences. And hearing that song sure had consequences. 

Loving you was dumb, dark and cheap
Loving you still takes shots at me
Loving you was sunshine, but then it poured
And I lost so much more than my senses
'Cause loving you had consequences

Her voice sounded so good. The entire album focuses solely on her voice with mellowed down background music. She makes having a breakup sound like the easiest thing in the world. Some of the songs make me so happy hearing them and oh god - she completely changed me from a hater to an actual fan! 

The lyrics aren't the best. They're pretty simple but the way she sings them completely transforms and alters everything. For me, Consequences is pretty much one of the best songs from the album.

Inside Out is another great song (just like pretty much all the songs off her album). It's so happy and I love the background vocals and the tune and the lyrics and pretty much everything. 

Look at the bright side
You're on the right side
You're the best of the best, yeah
I'm talking all time
I'm talking worldwide, worldwide
Don't you waste some other girl's time
Cause once you're with my love
It will never be in love, never be in love

I sort of feel really guilty for hating on her voice for such a long time when her voice is the best thing about her new album. 

All these years is another one of my favourites. Although her voice is a little breathy at the start - it still sounds super good. The lyrics are good and the tune plus the background vocals takes it to a new level.

'Cause after all these years
I still feel everything when you are near
And it was just a quick hello
And you had to go
And you probably will never know
You're still the one i'm after all these years

Every single song on her album is so relatable for me, except for the singles that she released in the beginning. 

Then there's Something's Gotta Give. That's a nice one too. I also liked In the dark. 

You're runnin', runnin', runnin', runnin'
Making the rounds with all your fake friends
Runnin', runnin' away from it
You can strip down without showing skin, yeah

I completely loved her debut album and it's obviously doing very well with it becoming number 1 in more than 90 countries within just hours of it's release. I'm very happy for Camila. But I'm happier for myself, because now that I like her so much - I have one less person to hate!




Comments

Popular Posts